Date:      19 Jul 2001 23:00:06 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net>
Cc:        "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>, Nick Maschenko <mnvhome@mail.ru>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Re: A question about FreeBSD security

Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net> writes:
> My understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) is that IPFW
> relies on the incoming packets' own headers to infer the established
> state, whereas IPF keeps a table of outgoing packets (when told to keep
> state) and matches incoming packets to the entries in the table to
> determine if they are actually in response to an outgoing packet.

Both.  It all depends on how you set up your rule set - you can do

# ipfw add pass tcp from any to me 22 in setup
# ipfw add pass tcp from me 22 to any out tcpflags syn,ack keep-state

instead of

# ipfw add pass tcp from any to me 22 in setup keep-state

The first variant will only store state for incoming connections to
which you actually respond, while the second will store state for all
incoming connections.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org