Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:49:57 -0500
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shutdown not completing

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 04:23:17PM +0100, Andy wrote:
> cross posting this to -smp and -hackers as it
> seems to be a problem there.....
>
> for those who are new to the problem, in -stable
> we have reports of "shutdown now" hanging rather
> than dropping to single user mode.
>
> I have a dual PIII machine. At 4.2-RELEASE I had
> no problems at all. However, two/three days ago
> I went to -STABLE. I now have the "shutdown now"
> problem.
>
> However, if I boot GENERIC I have no problem with
> shutdown now. So, as an experiment I made a new
> kernel based on my SMP kernel. The only change I
> made was to drop the two lines which make it an
> SMP kernel.
>
> On doing "shutdown now" with this kernel I go
> to single user mode.
>
> So, the "shutdown now" problem appears to be
> connected with shutting down processor #1 ??
>
> Anyone shed light on this?

 Another data point:

 I'm running 4.3-stable, cvsup'd to the 20010610 code, on an
 MP kernel (MSI 694D-AR motherboard, 2xPiii-866). I have not
 experienced any problem in shutdown, and have been fiddling with
 things a lot recently. Some days I've done two or three shutdowns
 to single-user mode and multiple shutdowns to the completely-down
 "hit-any-key" state.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea@mikea.ath.cx