Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:34:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        "Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd@mailcan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memtest

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Brett D. Estrade wrote:

> I have an Ultra 60 with 5.4 (upgraded from 5.3), and I am trying to
> stress the sucker out.
>
> I am currently running "memtest" from ports, and although this thing has
> 512 mb of RAM (and dual 300mhz cpus), memtest will only test ~148 mb or
> less of the main memory.  Is this an indication of some sort of issue or
> a shortcoming of memtest?  I also tried "rawio", but was not too
> successful getting the app to work properly - any suggestions for proper
> memory and I/O stressing?

OBP can do a reasonable memory test with:

diag-level

Specifies the level or type of diagnostics that are executed. Default is max.

     * off - No testing.
     * min - Basic tests are run.
     * max - More extensive tests might be run, depending on the device. Memory is extensively checked.

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/html/817-6957-10/Sebring-DiagsOn.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SPARC-HOWTO-14.html

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem