Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 21:01:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dwilde1@thuntek.net (Donald Wilde)
Cc:        nicole@nmhtech.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Interesting user of FreeBSD

> >  I found an interesting reference that I want to look deeper into but at
> > http://bakeoff.ircache.net/bakeoff-01/ ( A Caching Server bakeoff)
> >  They have a nice link at the bottom for FreeBSD.
>
> We should definitely make friends with them, since they're so nice. The
> name Rob Elder seems to ring a quiet bell from somewhere, and Paul Vixie
> I have also heard of before.

Paul Vixie is the author of cron, and maintains bind and other software
for the ISC, including a concurrent resolver library that has yet to
be pulled into FreeBSD (we really, really need to get the resolver
code *out* of libc, and *into* "libresolv", BTW).

Paul also runs one of the top level nameservers for the Internet,
and manufactures a product called "The Interceptor" based on NetBSD,
with modifications (e.g., the real fix for the FIN_WAIT_2 TCP/IP
protocol bug).

He also employs SEF (Sean Eric Fagin).

> >  Now what is most suprizing to me is at
> > http://bakeoff.ircache.net/bakeoff-01/polyteam-pics/  (warning LARGE)
> > 3rd picture up from the bottom has a caption that reads "Glenn and
> > Alex loading FreeBSD on the Novell cluster."
> >
> >  So, Novell is using FreeBSD for their Caching Solution....??
> >
> I think they meant that they were loading the "polygraph" program, I.E.
> the stress-test client, onto the cluster. _That's_ what is hosted on
> FreeBSD.

Yes.  It's a client cluster that they threw at each vendor's
cache soloution.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---