Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 16:53:42 -0400
From:      wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT )
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu
Cc:        jiho@sierra.net, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gnumalloc [Why I'm using Freebsd]

-Chuck> Personally, I think there's very little chance of that
-Chuck> happening.  If this means that we'll never be as large a group
-Chuck> as Windoze users, I can live with that, I've never been all
-Chuck> that keen on running with the herd.  Have you?

As one following the discussion, I had to comment here...
(Don't we all? ;-)

Ever since Sun decided to go with the sysv approach to UNIX rather
than BSD, I've been looking for alternatives.  In the Workstation
world (HPs, Suns, esv...) SunOS was the best form of UNIX available
for the longest time.  When the switch to Solaris started, few people
relished the idea of going to a broken OS.  (For the record, Solaris
2.4 is much better than 2.0, but that's besides the point) The only
reason I went to buy a PC was the fact that I couldn't get a decent,
supported version of BSD to for the Sun.  (NetBSD isn't supported
enough for the hardware, sorry.)

The nice thing about when Sun was SunOS was the large user base.  This
was very helpful.  Not the 'dumb user' concept seen so much with the
PC world, but of sys admins talking to each others.  Sun users could
even help those using esv's and other UNIX hardware devices.  That is
a good thing.  And yes, it is running with the herd.  From a business
perspective, it's the right way to do things. (Mac's are better than
PC's, but won't change the market since PC's are used by a lot of
business'.  Since the herd uses PC's, Business' will use them too.)

(However, a large business actually spends more money if they put DOS
on every ones desk that a UNIX computer due to sys admin... DOS,
windows, including Win95 just are not sys admin friendly.)

I would like to see a large use base, especially business user base,
for freebsd.  This will keep BSD alive.  Since Sun's decision to
switch, that may not happen.  If FreeBSD get's stable, (like 4.1.3
SunOS) you may have that market.  (Provided more business find
sco/bsdi products to use on FreeBSD) Also, a commercial support group,
(Like Cygnus to GNU) wouldn't hurt.

->>  And since this all started with the memory usage of X and its
->> clients: How many sites do you know of, where the network
->> transparency of X is actually utilized as originally designed?
->> What happened to the X terminal market?

The location where I work is planning to go to disk-less
workstations... Basically a full X-terminal on each desk.  (Or run
freebsd on their pc's??? ;-) X terminal market is just starting in the
US, but it's big elsewhere (Well, Japan I believe.  Great for
sysadmins.

--
                           Virtually,
                           Edward Wolpert

wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com | Valdi: "He's bleeding!"
wolpert@utk.edu                | Pozzo: "That's a good sign" -S.B.
Nothingness is the worm in the | 'Give me a shell, and I'll
heart of being.   - Sartre     |  give you the world.' (tm)

Fnord.