Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:48:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf

Patrick> I'm trying to restrict the messeges that fill up my messeges
Patrick> log file into a sudo log. This is what I have so far:

Patrick> *.notice;kern.debug;mail.crit        /var/log/messages
Patrick> !sudo
Patrick> *.*				      /var/log/sudo

Patrick> But sudo stuff still goes into messeges as well as sudo.  How
Patrick> can I restrict sudo stuff from the messeges file? I've tried
Patrick> sudo.none but that doesn't seem to help, and the man page
Patrick> isn't much help either.

I don't think you can do this, even with all the extensions to syslog
on FreeBSD.  If you want to throwaway your syslogd and get a new one
(http://www.aero.und.edu/~rand/syslogd) you'll be able to accomplish
what you want. (This is probably more work than you'll want to do
though.)

Here is an extract from my syslogd.conf:

	facility auth {
		program "su" {
			file "/var/log/su";
			break;