Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:45:43 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uh oh.. Time to take another look at the packages collection!

On Sun, Sep 28, 1997 at 11:19:01PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Why not split the packages into several groups roughly as follows;
>
> Perhaps I should clarify my earlier message: I'm not seeking where to
> draw the lines, I'm seeking *how* to draw the lines.

Ahh! <Light bulb goes on>

>         Let's say I'm installing with my media type set to FTP, and my
> site has plenty of space and a single packages/INDEX file.  That's the
> simple case, but what about when the packages are split across 2 CDs?
> Is each package collection stand-alone or do we implement some sort
> of "TOC" mechanism that lets INDEX file entries point elsewhere?
> Neither of the above?

I think it best to have some sort of TOC mechanism. A good number of
packages have a dependency on other packages. I suspect as time goes on the
number of packages with dependency will increase at a much faster rate than
the stand-alone packages. The fun comes in when we split our package
collection across CDs and we realize that most of our users have _ONE_
CDROM drive. The "New and Improved" (tm) package system will have to be
able to do package installs in a two step process. That is unless you wish
to tell our users that they MUST have either a CD changer or 2 CDROM drives
to use our package system ;-)

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.2
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses