Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 01:07:35 +0000
From:      void <float@firedrake.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, mbac@mmap.nyct.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Permissions on crontab..

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 10:45:57AM +0000, David Malone wrote:

> True - but I'd say it provides a false sense of security, which
> might be more damaging than the extra security provided against
> read-only exploits in crontab.

That's silly.  Group tty can be leveraged to provide more privilege,
but that doesn't mean write(1) should be setuid root, or that having
write(1) setgid tty provides a false sense of security.

I think that the proposed change would be a good idea, and that it's
consistent with write(1) and other uses of setgid.

--
 Ben

220 go.ahead.make.my.day ESMTP Postfix