Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:09:35 +0400
From:      "Michael Bushkov" <bushman@rsu.ru>
To:        "Ceri Davies" <ceri@submonkey.net>, "Colin Percival" <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] upcoming /etc/services updating

Hi!

Colin Percival wrote:

>> Now that searching through a large /etc/services file is no longer a
>> performance bottleneck, I intend to merge most of IANA's port assignment
>> list into our /etc/services some time in mid-May.
>>
>> If anyone objects to this, please let me know now.
>
> Would it be wise to wait until cached is enabled by default?

Yes - and caching for services should be turned on in nsswitch.conf by
default too.
I think, that "perform-actual-lookups" mode should also be enabled for
"services" by default in cached.conf - so that the cache for services
information would be the same for all users. Besides, as services
information changes extremely rarely, I'd also suggest putting greater TTL
values for "services" in the cached.conf.

With best regards,
Michael Bushkov