Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:45:03 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, grog@lemis.de, chat@FreeBSD.org, smut@clem-162.dorms.tamu.edu
Subject:   Re: SCSI A/V drives

   >    So, to deal with the "AV" crowd, whose hardware often can't handle
   >    being starved of data for several hundred ms, drive manufacturers made
   >    the recalibration process interruptible, so that data operations
   >    continue and recalibration occurs in the "background".
   > I thought that most SCSI devices released the bus during the entire
   > seek process, which was one of the advantages of SCSI over IDE to
   > begin with.  Am I mistaken?
   No, you're just missing the issue; if the drive is busy doing recal,
   it will accept your transactions, but it won't perform them until
   recal is finished - ie., your command's data returns very late.

Okay, understood... I hadn't realized that the recal was a
time-consuming process.  Why does the drive logic not continuously
update the thermal expansion factor it uses, each time it seeks?