Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 23:59:06 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, Andre Albsmeier <andre@akademie3000.de>, Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning (was: ccd with other filesystems)

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday,  1 October 2000 at  2:48:53 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >> You can do it, but it's not a good idea.  I'd like to see a good
> >> reason for doing this.
> >
> > If "c" is defined to be "the whole disk" , and you want to use "the
> > whole disk", it makes sense.
>
> No, you don't *ever* want a UFS on the whole disk, you want it on a
> partition, because those are the objects on which file systems work.

No, file systems work on disk devices.  The disk device may be the
whole disk device, a slice, or a partition.  I sometimes use a slice.

> That's OK.  CD-ROMs don't have partitions.  It's probably a bug that
> we even have partition letters for non-partitioned media.

cdroms have in-core labels, although this is a bug (they should work like
unlabled whole disks or slices).  Ken Merry has some code to support
writable cdroms with real labels.

> > I threw away this convention on many of my systems long ago, when I
> > resigned myself to aving a DOS parititon table on my machines, when
> > the Alpha and PReP platforms decided to require it as well.
>
> Is your 'h' key sticking? :-)

I hoped to replace BSD partitions by native partitions on systems where
native partitions are adequate.  Native partitions always have to be
supported, and another layer for BSD partitions mainly makes things
more complicated.  Unfortunately, my compatibility code was too good :).

> I strongly object to the Microsoft "partition" table, and I don't use
> it myself.  And of course you're welcome to use whatever you find
> convenient.  It's not until you advocate making this a standard way
> that anybody can have any objection.

Why?  It is only broken in different ways than the BSD label.

Bruce