Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:41:39 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving Things [was Re: List of things to move from main tree]

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 01:32:57AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> I think you're on the right general track, you're just not being
> radical enough to reach the real prize at the bottom of this cereal
> box. :-)   [Note to self: Do countries other than the USA put prizes in
>             boxes of breakfast cereal?  Must research this].
>=20
> First, let me ask everyone to stop thinking about this in terms of the
> traditional /usr/src and /usr/ports dichotomy and start thinking about
> software from more of a 20,000 foot [6080 meter] level.  When we talk
> about software around here, we generally mean one of three things:

I think a lot of good things will become easy once we finally get an
installer which is capable of treating packages on the same footing as
source code distributions.  That is the root of our problems, and
until it goes away I can't see much being fixed.

Has there been any progress from BSDi about this?  ISTR some of your
guys were working on it.

Kris

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt--