Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 11:50:05 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkenn@rebel.net.au>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unkillable processes

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Kevin Day wrote:

> > > For one, do another 'ps' with the 'l' option, so you can see what it's stuck
> > > on.
> >
> >   UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
> >  1000  1103  1086  29  75 20  5740  384 -      TWN   ??    0:00.00 (kvt)
> >  1000  1109  1103   0   4  0  1504    0 ttywri IWs+  p1    0:00.00 (tcsh)
> >
> >  1000 92724  1086 279 105 20  5736  356 -      RN    ??  139:40.13 kvt -T Termi
> >  1000 92743 92724   2  18  0  1576    0 pause  IWs   p8    0:00.00 (tcsh)
> >
> > > The second process is a zombie, which isn't killable until the parent tells
> > > it to go away. (Which could very possibly be the first kvt)
> >
> > Both still present empty terminal windows on my desktop and were spawned
> > from the KDE panel. The second one was running a copy of pine and was in
> > the same state as the other initially, until I kill -KILL'ed the pine
> > process, at which point it changed to what it is now.
> >
> > Kris
>
> Well, since the CPU time in the active process (92724) went up since your
> last e-mail, and it's in the RUN state (a - in the WCHAN and a R in the
> STAT), it looks like the process is just spinning, eating CPU.

Correct. Yet I cannot kill -9 it.

> The tcsh listed below that is a zombie of the running kvt. If you can
> somehow kill that kvt, the tcsh will go away.

I can't kill -9 any of the processes listed above.

> The top kvt (1103) is also a zombie, waiting for it's parent to reap it.
> Whatever process 1086 is decided not to clean it up, you may want to see
> what it's doing.

That's kfm.

> Will process 92724 die if you kill -9 it?

No. Yet it continues to run and chew up CPU..

> This seems to be more of a kvt bug than a freebsd bug. :)

I don't doubt it's mediated by KDE in some way, but I didn't think it was
possible for processes to trap or ignore SIGKILLs and continue to run
(chew up CPU). Zombie processes I can deal with, even if the window
manager continues to present a window for them :-)

Kris