Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:54:36 +0100
From:      Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any problems with parallel port zip plus?

> | I did a CVSUP to 4.3-RC at the weekend and my 250mb parallel zip was
> | still probed just fine when the system booted. I'll play around with it
> | this evening and get back to you.
>
> If you have PS2 mode, please enable it, and let me know if it connects in
> PS2 mode rather than nibble.

Okay. I tried a selection of the options presented by my BIOS.

BIOS Setting     FreeBSD reports        ZIP+ mode     Working
Normal.          EPP/NIBBLE             EPP           NO (vpo0 timeouts)
EPP+ECP(EPP1..9) EPP/ECP/SPP/NIBBLE     EPP           YES
ECP              EPP/ECP/SPP/NIBBLE     PS2           YES

The PS2 mode used more CPU than EPP but worked without problems. I'm
glad I looked at this. Previously my BIOS was only configured for
EPP+ECP(EPP1..7) and was using PS2 mode to talk to the drive. I'm now
using the EPP1..9 setting which allows FreeBSD to use EPP which is a
lot more multitasking friendly. I didn't seem to be able to get FreeBSD
to select nibble mode under any circumstances.

Mike