Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:28:31 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: g_vfs_done with offset greater than disk size

Steven Hartland wrote:
> I've been trying to get a problem fixed with a Highpoint 1820a crashing
> out with errors like:
> kernel: IAL: COMPLETION ERROR, adapter 0, channel 2, flags=104
> kernel: ATA regs: error 10, sector count 20, LBA low ff, LBA mid ff,
> LBA high ff, device 4f, status 51
> which results in the disk being dropped from the array.
>
> A sharp eyed engineer at Highpoint has just spotted the fact that the
> read error reported later is well beyond the end of the array ( 750Gb ):
> kernel:
> g_vfs_done():da0s1h[READ(offset=535260184576,length=131072)]error = 5
>
> As such is it possible there is a problem in the FS that fsck is not
> detecting
> which could be causing this behaviour when an rsync ( read only ) is
> performed against it?
>
> If there is indeed a vfs error which fsck is not detecting how would I
> go about:
> 1. finding it
> 2. fixing it

I recently sent a very similar issue to freebsd-geom list, with no
ICH7 maybe) controller, and a SATA disk.  I don't believe it's a driver
issue, and I don't think it's an fs issue, since I was dd'ing an image
onto the disk, and the image contained linux partitioning and an ext2
fs.  I think it has to do with the tasting (or re-tasting) of the GEOM
devices, but that's pretty much a guess.

Eric