Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 20:53:32 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        grefen@carpe.net
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AHA2940AU anyone?

> > I know of someone with the same exact problem with the Linux aic7xxx
> > driver.  Only a cold reboot will cause his disk to be seen.  My first
> > thought was that the disk drive wasn't jumpered correctly.  It doesn't
> > seem that is the case, though.
>
> I've seen the same thing with UNIXWARE 2.1, a Fujitsu drive and a normal
> 2940 (albeit only sporadic).

Hmm.

> > It sounds like these cards could have a bug in the firmware.  Do you
> > have any other operating systems on the system, and do they behave
> > the same way when warm rebooted?
>
> All other drives (inlcuding another Fujitsu) did act on the reset and worked
> ok.

The only thing I can think of is that we think the driver isn't correctly
picking up the SCSI bus reset flag correctly.  The code looks like it
correctly sets the reset bus flag.  Boot with verbose (-v) and see if
you get the message "Resetting Channel A" when warm booting.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWOrks.org