Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 06:16:38 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

Jeremy writes:

> This is a good example of getting trapped.

I don't know any way of avoiding this sort of "trap."  It has existed in IT
since it was called EDP, and it exists in every other industry as well.
There are far more proprietary technologies and processes and formats in the
world than standard, open versions of same, and many of the most successful
are also the most proprietary.

> Do software companies create new proprietary
> formats for new versions to make them incompatible
> with competitors?

Not usually.  They do it to bloat products with more features.

> I don't know what data you are referring to,
> but for generic tasks like word processing or
> spreadsheets, there are open alternatives.

Nobody other than the occasional secretary limits herself to word processing
and spreadsheets on a PC.

> Often, you can ask for alternative formats.

No, I can't.  I need the business, and telling clients that I can't use the
same format as everyone else is not going to get me that business.

> It may be an inconvenience at first, but in
> the long run it will all work out.

No, in the long run I'd be out of business.

> And depending on your standing, you could
> insist on not using the proprietary formats.

Not a very good way to retain that standing, even if I had it.

And why would I bother?  I don't care if I'm using Microsoft or not.  It
doesn't bother me to use Microsoft software.  I just use whatever tools do
the job.  And Microsoft is among the _least_ irritating of vendors that I
have to work with.