Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 23:13:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Edward Welbon <welbon@bga.com>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aic7xxx / AHA2940 worries... anyone?

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

> We really need to see error messages from the failure.  Any in
> the logs (from the latest driver, right?)?

I never get oops logged to /var/log/* if I am lucky, I can catch them from
the console before it blanks.  This apparently has something to do with
mounting root on /dev/md0.  I even tried putting /var/log on the aha1542
as a mount, but I am guessing that beacuse the root file system goes
haywire, the mounts become inaccessible also.  And yes, I use the latest
driver.

> You should try lowering this to 8.  I have had no problems on my
> IBM DORS-32160W at 16 commands/lun, but it could be they have a
> firmware bug under really heavy load.

OK, I'll try that, 8 deep command queuing.  Though according to the docs,
they can actually go upto 31 total commands deep total and they hum right
along with the other devices.  Of course the Asus PCI-SC875 is only 12
commands deep - the BusLogic BT-958, I don't know.

The drives have different firmware levels.  I recall, the firmware levels
to be wa6e for six of them (that came from a distributor channel) and wa3e
for the other three (that came directly from IBM).  That difference in
firware levels has always annoyed me, I don't know if there is any way to
upgrade the firmware on those drives.

> You know that you're not getting the latest driver at 2.1.42?  You
> need 2.1.48.

The probelm occurs for all kernels after 2.1.29 including 2.1.48.  I
downloaded the 2.1.48 kernel sources tar file, I did not not apply a
patch to an old kernel tree.

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;
Starting work on block 736531d1...
done, 643 Kkeys/CPU sec  643 Kkeys/real