Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2023 23:50:13 -0800
From:      Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I determine the ABI string used by pkg?

I need to determine the ABI string pkg uses on a given system, and need
to do so when there are no pkgs installed.

I've read through libpkg/pkg_elf.c and I can see how it's reading ELF
headers from well-known files.  That's all easy enough to replicate, but
I'm a bit stuck on how it's determining the arch string for x86.

How/When does pkg decide to use FreeBSD:13:amd64 instead of
FreeBSD:13:x86:64?  Can I safely assume one or the other?