Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2024 11:44:33 +0000
From:      Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org>
To:        jamie@catflap.org, bofh@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/gnatdroid-* deprecate?

Moin Rahman <bofh@freebsd.org> wrote:

> There are two course of actions here:
> 1. You just want to retire due to shortage of time or other schedules.
> And that there is no possibility of making these work without the two
> ports which have been removed. Mark DEPRECATED and set an
> EXPIRATION_DATE with a 1 month time.
>
> 2. You have time and want to bring back the other two ports. Submit a
> PR. :)
>
> But I think the for this specific case 1 applies to you.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Ok, my main query I guess was "can someone who isn't actually a committer
decide to expire ports."?

You've answered that, so I'll go ahead with a PR.

I forgot to mention, these ports use a binutils version that hasn't been
updated for a LONG time, and there have been no calls or PR's from anyone
regarding this.

Also, I did look at bringing back the other ports, and they are a bit... involved.
They also are tied quite deeply to gcc4.6, and as the purpose was basically
to be able to compile binaries for android, and these days the androids I deal
with are more than capable of running clang natively, I just use those.

To scratch the itch, any future work on this from me would involve using
the current clang, rather than an old patched gcc.

Cheers! Jamie