Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 15:35:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Soren Dossing <sauber@netcom.com>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What Dbase I need for WEB pages on FreeBSD ?

From: Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
> On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Nicky Rosenberg wrote:
>
> > I still did't activate any database and my question is what to choose.
> > I've heard about msql and postgress95 but I don't know what to chose.
> > I have on the net a unix machine (pentium) running FreeBSD, and a NOVELL server.
> > Currently, my WEB server is the UNIX machine and I want to do the following:
> > 1. To get Email messages from "Submit" of web pages
> > 2. To get input from WEB pages, to search a database and to display the
> >    results in a WEB page to the user.
> > 3. to give access to some parts of the database to all users and to other
> > parts of the database only to registered (subscribed) users.
> >
> > Thank's for your help till now and in the future.
>
> This is over my head I can see right now.  :)
>
> Someone want to give some hints?

I would say: Make a cgi program to glue all this together. It will
probably require quite a bit of programming.

To find specific cgi solutions have a look at
http://www.selah.net/cgi.html.

In particular the mailform.cgi gives a solution for sending form input in
a mail.

I have never used any readymade database cgi drivers - I tend to write my
own. But you might want to have a look at
http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/perl/db/. There you will find
solutions for Oracle, Sybase, Postgres95, Xbase and many others.

A very excellent book about this subject is "CGI Programming" by Shishir
Gundavaram (O'Reilly & As., Inc).

Soren