Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:47:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Turrin <mlt@linkzone.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam filters

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Brian Somers wrote:

[snip]

> > # shall I avoid expanding CNAMEs (violates protocols)?
> > #O DontExpandCnames
>
> I disallow un-resolvable names too.  The thing is, that while you're
> connected to the net you should have access to full name services.
> As you receive mail, sendmail looks up the DNS and validates the
> addresses.  This isn't possible to test unless you're connected or
> you suffix all the domain names with a '.' to fool the DNS lookup
> ruleset (96).

I am connected full time.  So should I activate the O macro in sendmail.cf
or leave it commented out as shown above?

THis ruleset doesn't appear to work:

Scheck_rbl
# lookup up an ip address in the Realtime Blackhole List.
R$-.$-.$-.$-    $: $(host $4.$3.$2.$1.rbl.maps.vix.com $:OK $)

I get the following output:

> check_rbl 111.org $| 204.182.59.9
rewrite: ruleset 199   input: 111 . org $| 204 . 182 . 59 . 9
rewrite: ruleset 199 returns: 111 . org $| 204 . 182 . 59 . 9

> > >   ftp://releng22.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releng22/src/etc/mail
> >
> > This is a bad link.  There is no ``/src'' directory only the directory
> > tree shown below. Here is all that's there:
>
> Oh, sorry.  You'll find the stuff in a ``src/etc/mail'' directory,
> but you'll have to have a look around for a releng_2_2 source
> distribution.  I *thought* you could get this under
>
>   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable

FOr future reference the link is:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/src/etc/mail/

The sendmail.cf.additions file there is substantially different than the
one I was using.  It has a few more rulesets.

Thanks,