Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:06:43 -0700
From:      "Shannon Johnson" <shannon@needhams.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Igor Melnichuk" <simplyi@skif.net>
Subject:   Re: jail & security

----- Original Message -----
From: Igor Melnichuk <simplyi@skif.net>
To: <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 6:45 AM

> > > no chances. It's a very pain jail feature (weakness). :(
> >
> > I actually disagree. It it possible to limit a users resources within a
> > jail. You can use login classes in a jail just as you can outside it.
See

www.designcurve.net/articles/os/freebsd/doc/man/?section=&topic=login.conf

> 100% true and it works fine. But You can't restrict 'root' in case when
You
> have to delegate this privileges to somebody (to make customization of
> apache for instance). Such user can always override 'login.conf' so this
is
> not 'perfect' solution.
>
> I prefer 'system' control.
>
> igor

I personally disable the root account in all of my jailed environments (e.g.
setting the shell to /sbin/nologin and diabling the password "*") and use
the following script to perform customization within the jail
http://www.designcurve.net/downloads/os/freebsd/scripts/enter-jail
This script assumes that you set up the jail in the form of
/jail/192.168.x.x/serivce (e.g. /jail/192.168.3.45/www).

In order to use this script you must be in the host environment (outside of
the jail).

---
Shannon