Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 00:08:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Khanh N." <ubs01271@email.sjsu.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation via PLIP problem (Resolved)

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Doug White wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
> To: "Khanh N." <ubs01271@email.sjsu.edu>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Installation via PLIP problem(s)
>
> On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Khanh N. wrote:
>
> > i'm having a problem trying to have lp0 configured so that i could install
> > 3.1R onto my laptop from my 3.1R desktop via PLIP.  i searched the lists
> > but could not find any reported problems similar to mine.
> >
> > Here are the steps i did:  on the desktop, as instructed in the
> > installation readme file> ifconfig lp0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2,
> > then created an anonymous ftp account, then mounted the cdrom.  On the
> > laptop, at the Media selection in sysinstall, i chose FTP | URL |
> > ftp://10.0.0.1 then configured lp0 with hostname, gateway, ip 10.0.0.2.
> > Once i hit OK, it tells me that lp0 could not be configured (sorry, forgot
> > to write down the exact message).
> >
> > In the debug screen it gives me "DEBUG: ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR):
> > destination address required".
>
> PLIP is a point-to-point interface; you have to specify both ends of the
> link.

Best to my knowledge, I thought configuring lp0 in sysinstall would take
care of one end.

> > i even tried with bringing up a "fix-it shell" and did "ifconfig lp0
> > 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.1", with and without "route add default 10.0.0.1" on
> > different tries, but no luck.
>
> This should work.  What kind of cable are you using?

Geniune Laplink cable :)

My problem was resolved. I restared, redo the disklabling and did what a
fellow user (Jerry Hicks :) suggested: enter the server address
(10.0.0.1) in the "Extra setings for ifconfig" field in the lp0 network
configuration dialog window.  And voila!  All i had to do afterwards was
sym. link the cdrom appropriately.