Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:07:13 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bob Collins <bob@sfcei.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD K6/550

--Za/SMm3KZ11Dkftj

Bob Collins wrote:

> I am interested in building a new system based on the AMD K6/550
> processor.  Is anyone using this with FBSD, and are you satisfied with
> it's performance?  I am concerned about whether or not it will work
> and to what level. I am not concerned with overclocking.

I don't see why it wouldn't -- the 350, 400, 450, and 500 all work
fairly well.  I've just had a 500 system panic (page fault) but that
might be down to dodgy RAM.  Also the 450 kept locking up hard, but that
might have been the faulty CPU as it's been replaced by a 500 and it
hasn't happened again yet.

Generally they're not bad, but I'd probably use an Athlon if I could
afford it.  I'd also use ECC memory and a motherboard which supported
it, that's a bit pricy too.

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D

--Za/SMm3KZ11Dkftj