Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 2020 12:11:16 +0100
From:      Alexandre Levy <a13xlevy@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Support for Intel Comet Lake chipsets in FreeBSD-12.1

Hi,

Sorry for the duplicate thread, I think my mail client got an issue and
didn't post the body.

I've purchased an Intel Celeron G5900 (LGA1200) with a compatible
motherboard and I could successfully migrate my FreeBSD-12.1-p7 setup to
this new hardware without issues.

However it seems like the integrated chipset UHD Graphics 610 is not
properly recognized :

$ pciconf -lv | grep -A3 vga
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x9ba81849 chip=0x9ba88086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

There is no "device" line supposedly indicating the chipset is not
recognized (no driver yet ?).

I want to leverage DRI/DRM for hardware video transcoding using Intel
QuicSync so I tried to install the latest drm-kmod port but it didn't work
as it seems I need to have something under /dev/dri which is empty for me :

$ ls -la /dev/dri
ls: /dev/dri: No such file or directory

I found a patch for Linux that adds the Comet Lake chipsets in
i915_pciids.h[1] that I adapted/applied for the drm-kmod port but that
didn't help either and that's probably a very naive approach.

I'm not sure what to do at this stage so any help is greatly appreciated.
Could it be that I just need to wait for these chipsets to be properly
supported in FreeBSD 12.1 ?

It seems like the drm-kmod port is based on a backport from Linux 4.16
kernel but I could be wrong. If I'm not wrong then do we need to have a
drm-kmod port based on Linux 5 kernel that might support newer chipsets ?

Many thanks for your help.

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/diff/include/drm/i915_pciids.h?id=a7b4deeb02b978bc59808cb13c93ba84f01023a4