Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:21:50 -0600
From:      Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C++ threaded programs

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:37:55AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:

> I have been unable to get anyone I've directly asked to actually test it
> (that emailed me saying they have a problem with the current state of the
> world).

Here is what happened after test1.. This is a program called mq3 it is
written in C++ and uses qt's threaded library.

I applied your patch, rebuilt my world. All that good stuff, then I rebuilt
qt with its thread support, and recompiled the app. It cores. The author
develops on FreeBSD and the last update he made was right before the
offending C++ patch was submitted and it works fine for him. Here is the
information.

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/home/needo/mq3-6/bin/mq3
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".

Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
0x283a933f in QWidget::event () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libqt2-mt.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0x283a933f in QWidget::event () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libqt2-mt.so
Error accessing memory address 0x0: Bad address.

The above was compiled with Pentium Pro optimizations the following core/bt
was compiled with no optimizations whatsoever...

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/home/needo/mq3-6/bin/mq3
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".

0x8059dfc in MQ3::MQ3 (this=0xbfbff800) at mq3.cpp:84
84          songLabel->setText(tr("No song loaded."));
(gdb) bt
#0  0x8059dfc in MQ3::MQ3 (this=0xbfbff800) at mq3.cpp:84
#1  0x8059099 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfbff978) at main.cpp:17
#2  0x80520f7 in _start ()

I dont know how much help will this is, and if this is FreeBSD's failure, or
the application's fault.

I have another application I will test tonight, and report my findings.

--
Erich Zigler

Procrastination avoids Boredom; One never has the feeling that there
is nothing important to do!