Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:07:52 -0800
From:      FreeBSD Administrator <freebsd@workgrp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Opps: Bad Superblock after Sys. Cmdr install

OK. I thought I'd try installing System Commander, with all it's cool
booting features to use with the multiple OSes on one of my machines.
Unfortunately, not only did it write a new MBR on my C: IDE drive (bios
80), but it looks like it trashed my D: SCSI drive (bios 81). My system is
backed up to tape, but I'm not sure it's good.

Before I shot myself in both feet, I had the FreeBSD (or whomever's)
BootEasy installed. This allowed me to boot the system and press F5 for
disk 2, and then F1 on disk2 for FreeBSD. I then booted with 1:sd(0,a)/kernel.

Unfortunately, in installing the CD-ROM for 2.2.2, I couldn't seem to get
the system to boot with just my AHA1542CF and 3.2GB SCSI drive, dedicated
to FreeBSD. Now, I think it was some combination of using a Promise EIDE
controller for the 1.6GB IDE drive which has other things on it, and
possibly have >1GB translation turned on in the 1542CF bios.

I may have also not learned the 1:sd(0,a) trick at that point in time, so
the only way I could get FreeBSD to boot without a "Geometrical Panic
(Euclidean?)" was to dedicate the ENTIRE disk to FreeBSD, since that was
all I'd be running on it anyway. I also chose the install option of ENTIRE
disk, with no later compatibility for other operating systems.

If I understand this correctly, sector 0 would solely contain the FreeBSD
"MBR" with no standard partition table that would point partition 0 to the
FreeBSD MBR, superblock, etc. In other words, no standard partition table
and the FreeBSD system (/ in my case) starts at sector 0. Anything
installing an standard MBR/partition table would write over this and
corrupt the system.

When I now try to boot the FreeBSD system, it complains about a bad
superblock and dies a horrible, lingering death.

Before the tragedy, I'd CVSUPed the system up to whatever level RELENG_2.2
is (from 2.2-STABLE to ~2.2.6?) at the end of October. I've tried booting
from the 2.2.2 install CD-ROM and/or the FIXIT disk and tried to either
mount /dev/sd0s1a or fsck it, with no luck. It just complains about the
nasty, retched not-so-superblock and thumbs it's nose at me.

Would someone be kind enough to suggest some viable recover options? Is
there a backup superblock that I can dd? Is the superblock in sector 0 (I'm
assuming that is what's trashed) or sector 1 or?  Could some combination of
fdisk and disklabel correct the problem (without doing a newfs)if I can
remember how I carved up the disk?

Any thoughts, help, comments, commentaries on how stupid I am will be
cheerfully accepted.

Regards and thanks,
Marty
mlg@a.crl.com