Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 14:06:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        dennis <dennis@et.htp.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freefall.cdrom.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> It has nothing to do with receiving while transmitting, it has to do with
> physical science.
>
> Box A ----> Box B (the Ethernet Router) -----> Box C
>
> I transmit a frame from Box A to Box B. For simplicity say it takes 100
> microseconds to get  to point B at 10mbs. I now need to re-transmit the
> frame to get it to Box C. It takes ANOTHER 100 microseconds to get it to Box
> C (Assuming no latency). To get from Box A to Box C with a non-specialized
> controller takes 200 microseconds, or 1/2 the single medium's max throughput.

If you are sending 1 packet, yes, it is taking 200 microseconds insteads
of 100, so yes thruput is cut in half compared to A->C directly, but the
maximum thruput on each line is STILL 100mbps, and if box B could handle
it, it could be sending 100 megabits on both wires at the same time.

When you are talking about Sending A->B->C you are adding 100 microseconds
latency to the arrival of the first packet, and it will take 100
microseconds longer to recieve the last packet, but if you are sending a
burst that lasts 2000 seconds [lets say] 100 microseconds latency is less
than .000001% "thruput degradation." You would still be getting 100 megabits
performance so long as the latency is not significant when compared to
the length of the data stream.

> This is the same concept that applies more importantly to WAN communications
> and the reason for the existance of cell relay to produce higher switching
> thoughputs. Cells are smaller (53 octets or something for ATM) and
> forwarding can begin as soon as the first cell is full. This is also exactly
> why router based networks are slower than switched-protocol networks,
> because routers lose a transmission time at every hop (although the big guys
> are starting to do cell switching). This is also why when you chose an
> internet provider make sure that your provider has high-speed connectivity,
> because a 56k line to a router with a 56k connection only yields 28k to the
> "real" net.

As an ISP, we have set companies up with faster than 40kbaud verified
thruput on a DS0 line with a router involved. I know the concept you are
trying to discuss, but you are confusing the effect of latency on thruput.

-Jerry.