Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 18:16:36 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to route a single box into a subnet

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 09:11:24PM -0500, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> Oliver Fromme wrote,
> [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > Hello,
> >
> > We have a /24 subnet (let's call it 1.2.3.0), and for some
> > technical reason there is one machine (1.2.3.55) that has
> > to be routed through another machine (1.2.3.44).
> [snip]
>
> I think by far the easiest thing to do for this is to just set up the
> FreeBSD machine to be an Ethernet bridge.

Definitely.  I should have though of that since I've also got a network
configured almost exactly as described.  The fact that we're only
bridging so the host on the other side works normaly when we're not
running man-in-the-middle attacks on it must have confused me. ;-)
You can even run firewalling and dummynet using bridges.

-- Brooks

--
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one"