Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 00:53:03 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

Yeap, I realize that there is a core group of individuals that would
follow your thinking which happens to both maintain the level
of technology that we have today (which I think is good ) then on
the other hand in terms of well the whole group making its presence
known in the internet has not been as big as  the Linux crowd.

I still like the idea of the black background with the red ribbon
at least for a week.

As for ftp.cdrom.com is kind of hard via netscape to tell that is
a FreeBSD system and I am not too sure that it registers that well
on people's mind. One small data point on the net, a linux user
said "I got to admit that ftp.cdrom.com is interesting technology however
it needs more exposure" Okay, the linux fanatic is wrong .

For whatever is worth, I know that I fighting a losing battle with
David Taylor and even trying to convince this group to mail bomb
ID (ruffle, sift, I thought I had an H e-mail bomb around here somewhere)
In fact, I am not even sure if this group can organize itself to present
a common cause such as the current scenario. Well okay, I am getting
old , so perhaps someone can present evidence of at least once when
this group agreed to act as whole for the purpose of acquiring something.
For instance, I remember the XFree86 team collecting a tally count of
many netters and presenting a grand total to Diamond. Granted it did
not work initially but somehow XFree86 how to notes found there way
into Diamond's Web Server.

Subliminal message:
I still like the idea of the black background with the red ribbon
at least for a week.

	Amancio

 > > > Ack, no, please don't!  Look, seriously, I've talked to the
 > > > _developers_ of this friggin' software and they've made it more than
 > > > abundantly plain to me, on multiple occasions, that they are NEVER,
 > > > EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES going to do a port to FreeBSD and the
 > > > matter is not even open to discussion.  The only reason we see a "free
 > > > UNIX" port of IDs stuff at all is because they happen to be unabashed
 > > > Linux fanatics there, and they have zero, zip nada interest in a
 > > > FreeBSD port.
 > > >
 > > > If you want Dave Taylor to publically state same in this mailing list
 > >
 > >Fine , arrange it . I like to go "down" fighting not standing down.
 > >If they don't make port for FreeBSD can you remove the stuff from
 > >the ftp.cdrom.com site. This is my thinking they are so in love with
 > >linux yet they have not been able to provide an adequate linux ftp
 > >site. It seems to me that they have dollars and can buy the expertise
 > >to provide adequate ftp services be that linux or some other platform.
 >
 >    No, that would be *extremely* childish and bad business to boot. Besides,

It is *not* childish it depends on how is executed if you state the reason
in a persuasive manner it can be construed as a protest.

I hope that you parse this clearly.

 > we gain a tremendous amount by dishing out our FreeBSD propaganda when they

To be honest with you I don't think so specially if the access the
system via netscape. Most of the times I tend to ignore the initial
sign on banner and just go right in to fetch what I want.

Now if you tell me that Walnut Creek has a big ad on something like
the Wall Street Journal then thats different I bet people will pay
attention. Okay, Wall Street Journal is big how about a bigger ad
on Computer Currents or Microtimes 8)