Date:      11 Feb 1999 01:06:55 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linus on IRC

Tommy Hallgren <thallgren@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Linus attended to an IRC chat recently, you can find the log at:

It was some kind of "web chat" rather than IRC. Also, if you read the
log, you'll find a statement to the effect that they had Linus on the
phone and somebody else was typing his part.

> <Linus_Torvalds-> I actually think that [the free distributions of
> BSD] have been going away instead of actually making a comeback. And I
> think they were interesting projects.

Yes.

Among BSD people there is a lot of casual Linux bashing, usually devoid
of technical justification. Snide remarks against Linux have become
fashionable on the freebsd mailing lists.

You don't see much of this in other direction. To Linux people, BSD is
mostly a non-issue. It's invisible, who runs it anyway?, they're
hopelessly split up. That's what you are likely to hear. And this
attitude starts from the top down, see Linus' comment above, see ESR's
remarks, and a few months ago I witnessed Maddog Hall giving a similar
response when asked about his opinions on BSD. And the large numbers of
Linux users at the bottom pick it up.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
    carpe librum: books 'n' reviews <URL:http://www.carpe.com/buch/>;