Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:57:02 -0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Carlos_Mendes_Lu=EDs?= <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        <Administrator>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 6.0-release inside vmware 5

Joao Barros wrote:
> On 11/6/05, Jo=E3o Carlos Mendes Lu=EDs <jonny@jonny.eng.br> wrote:
>=20
>>Hi,
>>
>>    I tried to install a vmware 5 virtual machine with 6.0-RELEASE, usi=
ng
>>physical partitions.  In this mode, even ATA disks appear as SCSI to th=
e guest
>>system.  In VMWARE ghest, this also means a buslogic mpt controller.
>>
>>    Up to 5.4-stable, this worked ok.  But at 6.0-release, the mpt cont=
roller is
>>detectd, but no disk is found.  Any hints?
>=20
>=20
> I have 6.0 working under VMWare 5.0 using physical partitions.
> When you add a new disk you are given an advanced option where you can
> specify IDE or SCSI. VMWare by default goes SCSI, so you must have
> missed it as it's very common to happen.

    For me, it only asks for IDE or SCSI on logical disks.  Maybe because=
 I am
not using the whole disk, but only some of its partitions.

    My main intent is to be able to dual boot Windows and FreeBSD, and ke=
ep both
running, with Windows vmware hosting FreeBSD (I would prefer the other wa=
y, but
vmware3 is a bit old).  I need a secondary root partition, because of ker=
nel and
config changes, but the data partitions could be shared.

   BTW: Maybe this can help.  I'll copy scsi@, maybe they can find this p=
roblem
quicker.

    The only messages sent by the mpt driver are:

mpt0: <LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter> port 0x1080-0x10ff mem
0xec800000-0xec800fff irq 17 at device 16.0 on pci0
mpt0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
mpt0: MPI Version=3D1.2.0.0
mpt0: Unhandled Event Notify Frame.  Event 0xa.

   If I enable verbose booting, there are to many messages for me to unde=
rstand
each one.

    Also: In the install CD fixit shell, "camcontrol devlist" finds no de=
vice,
but "camcontrol devlist -v" finds two VMware devices <VMware, Virtual S 1=
.0>, at
scbus target 0 and 1.  If I do a "camcontrol rescan all", and then anothe=
"camcontrol devlist -v", even these devices disappear.

    I did also try disabling ACPI during boot, but no luck.