Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 20:42:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@racer.dkrz.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        shyone@constantchange.on.ca, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape drive FAQ

> From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
> Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 19:24:37 +0200 (MET DST)
> Cc: jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de,
>          freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
> Sender: owner-freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
>
> As Engineer, 08.ZIYA wrote:
>
> > That would be awesome. I've got this ancient wangtek sitting here idle
> > 'cause i can't find docs on it (it belongs to a friend, and they don't
> > have the manuals either) and yet i'm teased by the fact the kernel
> > apparrently supports it. And, quite frankly, i wouldn't know how to work
> > it if i ever _did_ get the kernel to accept it (it accepts the card, but
> > thwe drive won't budge). I'm sure others are in the same boat.
>
> A QIC-02 drive, with a separate interface card?
>
> What does the `wt' driver has to say about it?
>
> --
> cheers, J"org

I got a Wangtek 5150 (with separate interface card) about two weeks
ago.  It works with the wt driver, I believe--I had only little time
to dump a filesystem and check that I can read stuff back.

Yes I can also read tapes which were written on SUNOS a while ago with
some other type of QIC150 drive.

I do have *some* documentation.  The booklet says "User's Guide 5125PK
/ 5150PK Series Tape Backup System", and "User's Guide No. 63058-001
Rev. B".  The Guide explains the jumper settings, but does not go into
further detail.

Regards,

Georg-W. Koltermann, gwk@cray.com