Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 20:58:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org (Michael Lucas)
Cc:        jswarner@uswest.net (Joe Warner), freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine?

> > Why would advertising be such a big problem, since most applications
> > that are made for Linux, will run on *BSD?  What products are
> > made for Linux exclusively and won't run on *BSD?
>
> While advertisers do make products that *run* on BSD, they don't
> advertise their products as being usable on BSD.  All the difference.

This is wrong.  Many companies support BSDI or FreeBSD
versions, and have since the glibc2 debacle made it nearly
impossible to maintain only a single Linux distribution.

A good example is Zend, which builds a PHP optimizer, and
distributes 1 FreeBSD version and 3 Linux versions of the
same program because of binary incompatability between
Linux distributions.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---