Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:49:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Shared /bin and /sbin

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
>I much prefer the FreeBSD way of doing things.  There should be only one
>lib -- /usr/lib, and things critical to booting should be compiled static.

Agreed, multiple dynamic OS library paths would also violate the KIS
principle.

>Obviously people with special needs can compile the binaries up however
>they like, but I don't think we should change the base distribution's
>way of doing things.

Applications should have separate directories i.e.,
/usr/local/apache/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib, to keep from overwriting each
other (as in /usr/local/lib) but, IMHO, nobody's yet made a compelling
argument for multiple OS library paths.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting