Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 2015 16:59:22 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org, Leonardo Fogel <leonardofogel@yahoo.com.br>
Subject:   Re: Race conditions

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 05:04:31PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday, August 29, 2015 01:30:49 PM Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 01:34:58PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> > > Perhaps we could force cloning to serialize with opens? That is, use
> > > some sort of global lock in devfs such that any non-cloning opens use
> > > a shared lock but an exclusive lock is taken before running clone
> > > event handlers (and held until after d_open returns)? To really
> > > close this sort of race, the exclusive lock acquired when a clone
> > > is created in lookup() would have to be held until devfs_open() is
> > > called. That's rather gross. I suppose you could always aquire the
> > > lock in devfs_lookup() when ISOPEN is set (exclusive if you have to
> > > clone, otherwise shared) and then drop it in devfs_open() after d_open
> > > returns.
> > Hm, I do not think taking a lock in lookup(ISOPEN) is feasible. VFS migh
> > not call VOP_OPEN() after the lookup, for misc. reasons (e.g. due to the
> > permissions, or forced umount reclaiming vnode as two obvious cases).
> >
> > Also, I am not sure about the definition about non-cloning open. Other
> > thread might race with the cloner and open the newly cloned node
> > before the cloner has a chance to proceed. Do you want to prevent this
> > situation ? If yes, then why ? si_drv1 issue should be handled by other
> > means.
>
> This isn't about si_drv1, this is about my other change of trying to let
> an open of /dev/tap reliably open a "free" tap device.  The race my current
> change there doesn't handle is that if an open of /dev/tap that returns
> a "free" tap device from the clone handler might race with another process
> that opens a tap device by name (e.g. /dev/tap0).
This is a race which must be handled by userspace, I am afraid.

> An entirely different possibility is to change /dev/tap to not use cloning
> at all and instead use cdevpriv.  It could then safely choose a "free"
> tap device during its open routine.  This might be a bit of an API change
> though as devname/fdevname could no longer be used to determine the name
> of the interface opened by an open of /dev/tap.
What if we change tap to use cdevpriv, and have some unit number
sequencer for the cdevprivs (as I understand, this would correspond to
the unit of the cloned tap interface ?). Also, we add a cdevsw method to
get the devname. By default, the method will provide dev->si_name.

For tap, the method would create the the /dev/tapX, where X is the tap
interface number, and returns corresponding name.  The /dev/tapX opens
would need to find cdevprivs from the /dev/tap.

This would cause KBI change for the cdevs, but no API change for tap
consumers and no KPI changes for cdevs.

> > > Well, we've had this race in most cdev drivers in the tree for a long
> > > time. It's a narrow one that doesn't get hit often (if at all) in
> > > practice, but if I were to do a sweep to patch all the open routines
> > > to handle it, I'd rather we do it this way instead. OTOH, I don't have
> > > a burning desire to patch all the open routines.
> >
> > For the race to be real, the device must be created after the userspace
> > is running. I think that the main case there are pty.
>
> Or kldload of a device driver.
But this is much more rare, this is what I mean.

> > I do not see a possibility of removing existing make_dev*() after the
> > make_dev_uber() is introduced, so there is no need for the whole tree
> > sweep.
>
> I mean more that if one wanted to fix the si_drv1 race one would have to
> do some sort of sweep of affected drivers.

Yes.