Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 10:47:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RTP and RTSP support in libalias?

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Mike Holling wrote:

> Apple's QuickTime 4 uses these protocols for streaming QuickTime, and I've
> got users asking me if the FreeBSD NAT box can be made to handle it.
> Looks like these protocols are new internet standards, has anyone
> integrated them into libalias yet?  If not I might give it a shot, but I'm
> probably in over my head...

QT4S supports Socks5, btw. I just dropped a socks server on my gateway,
pointed QT4 at it, and all is peachy.  Kudos to Apple for looking ahead :)

From what I can tell, this runs much like PPTP does.  You have a TCP
control connection, but the data comes through UDP (PPTP uses GRE).
You'd have to dive into the TCP packets to figure out what ports the UDP
data was coming back on in order to establish the mapping.  And you may
have to hack the TCP data so the client doesn't try to tell the server its
(invalid) IP address.  (The stupid LiveUpdate programs do this and it's a
pain.)

The current natd PPTP support forces the data to be mapped to/from a
static IP.

Doug White