Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:18:02 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
Cc:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High interrupt load on firewalls

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 12:59:27PM -0400, David Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Attila Nagy wrote:
>
> With a dc ethernet card and ~45K packets per second, an XP1700 system went
> from > 50% interrupt to < 1%.  I was astounded at the change!

that is partly cheating, because with polling, some of the work which
was done in an interrupt context is done elsewere. Still you might
have some significant load reduction, i admit :)

> If all it takes to get Gb interfaces polling is to send Luigi a card then
> he needs to send me his shipping address:)

all it takes is to look at the source code in some of the supported
cards -- the changes are clearly marked by #ifdef DEVICE_POLLING/#endif
blocks and are rather trivial in most cases (not all of them, 'fxp' was
particularly tricky to get right!).

	cheers
	luigi