Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:12:51 -0700
From:      "Gilbert Gong" <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@iowna.com>, "Garance A Drosihn" <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral
References:  <20010706144935.A61843@xor.obsecurity.org> <3B4650D0.97F10B83@bellatlantic.net> <20010707002340.B16071@widomaker.com> <20010707004731V.jkh@osd.bsdi.com> <3B49F8D5.2C9BFA73@mindspring.com> <3B4A0124.26025FB5@iowna.com> <3B4A1423.E8E365E@mindspring.com> <86ofqth6p3.fsf@hades.hell.gr> <3B4A7D9C.A64230D9@softweyr.com> <3B4B07DE.4801D208@iowna.com> <p0510100bb7710cdeaa17@[128.113.24.47]> <3B4B65ED.452CDD5E@iowna.com>

I'm also interested in helping out with the installer.

I have also just read Jordan's message (at
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=77877+0+archive/2000/freebsd-ha
ckers/20000917.freebsd-hackers
as referenced  in another email)

and here is how I see it.  #2 cannot happen without #1 happening first.
Jordan outlines a number of underlying problems which simply writing a new
installer, in terms of just a new frontend to what sysinstall currently
does, cannot solve.  Many of the underlying structures and mechanisms for
distribution and packaging must be modified to resolve those problems.
These problems are generally the same as the ones other people are bringing
up, or are needed changes before other types of changes can be made (though
some, such as adding "partition magic" style partition sizing could be added
without these underlying changes).

I think, from a "will be accepted by the community" perspective, what has to
happen is the old installer must evolve, little by little, into something
which is more modular and can be easily replaced or interfaced into by other
alternate installers.  As it becomes more modular, it will be easier to
change some of the underlying mechanisms.  As other people have said, the
installer is the first exposure of new people to FreeBSD.  That means it is
really important, and therefore a lot of us will care about what happens to
it.  Major overhauls are not going to go over easily (think bikeshed, only
instead of what color to paint the bikeshed, we are discussing what color to
paint the large centerpiece at the entrance to the world headquarters).

Gilbert