Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2020 14:10:07 -0500
From:      Rick Miller <vrwmiller@gmail.com>
To:        Christer Solskogen <christer.solskogen@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iPXE (U)EFI FreeBSD

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 1:04 PM Christer Solskogen <
christer.solskogen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Does anyone have a working setup / iPXE script for netbooting FreeBSD 12
> installation media? I've tried a lot of different settings without any
> luck :/
>
> sanboot the iso stops when it's looking for the root directory, while
> chain loading loader.efi doesn't even boot the kernel.

Sounds like the experience described in PR 239876. Maybe?

While I=E2=80=99m not successfully booting 12 yet, I use iPXE and sanboot b=
ootonly
ISOs. However, those ISOs have failed with the errors described in the
aforementioned PR since 9.something.

I work around this by building a MDROOT kernel that is installed in the ISO
during make target bootonly.iso. Bear in mind the MDROOT kernel must be
smaller EFI_STAGING_SIZE and the kernel config/environment must define
MFS_IMAGE.

PR 227808 describes how to accomplish this.

HTH

=E2=80=94Rick
--=20
Take care