Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 01:07:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Derek Inksetter <derek@mfa.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPP difficulties...

Hey all,

I'm having some trouble with PPP on the 2.0-950202 Snapshot release. I can
connect to my PPP server, establish an IP address (The server allocates
them), and apparently have a valid connection. Every time I try to use the
connection, though, packets seem to be getting lost. If I try a telnet
session, for instance, it will go for long periods of time without a
response, and then it will come through.

i.e.
(Key hit) (Wait 1-60seconds) (Key appears on screen).

The same sort of thing appears to happen to FTP and http. (Watching the
modem lights, I see LONG pauses when transferring files.)

Even weirder...I can usually ping with no packet loss.

The connection is through a Xyplex terminal server, which has had no
problems connecting up to Trumpet Winsock (Windows) or MacPPP (Mac), so
it's probably not solely a server problem.
Derek Inksetter                                    derek@mfa.com
Lead Systems Programmer              Mchugh Freeman & Associates
PGP Fingerprint:1D 00 58 71 FE 12 8B FD  18 01 DC A7 7E 36 D1 CC