Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:51:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crashes on 4.5-RELEASE

:..
:>-		if (space < resid + clen && uio &&
:>+		if (space < resid + clen &&
:
:>even with INVARIANTS turned off.  Nor have I seen an xl0 watchdog
:>timeout.
:
:I actually doubt that this patch could help with the panics you
:were seeing. The only problem this is known to fix is one where you
:have an NFS filesystem mounted, and you load an IPFW rule that
:blocks outgoing NFS packets. In that situation it causes the system
:..

    I didn't think the patch would help much either but two people
    have reported to me that it seems to solve their crashing problems.

    I wonder if a TCP nfs mount would cause the problem to occur more
    often.  Then you wouldn't need an IPFW rule.... a simple TCP stall
    in a heavily loaded environment would be enough to cause the output
    buffer to grow to a considerable size.

						-Matt