Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:16:02 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Krutov Mikle <nekoexmachina@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAL must die!

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:42:00 +0300, Krutov Mikle <nekoexmachina@gmail.com> wrote:
> As for me, it is like a habit:
> I've installed Xorg + HAL for the first time;
> I've seen that my config is ignored;
> I disabled HAL by-default in make.conf
> :)

Similar situation here. The thing that annoys me most
regarding HAL is that it removes centralized configuration
options (from xorg.conf) and puts them into some
arbitrary locaion buried in /usr/local/etc, requiring
XML coding. I'm especially talking about the need to
define some non-US keyboard layout (in my case: german
layout) independently from any desktop environment,
so this setting HAS to be in X's configuration file.
The same goes for the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace "emergency
stop" of X. I've tried that on a testing system and
it simply looks wrong, feels wrong. It should be
easier. X has a centralized place for configuration
settings. Why scatter its content across the /usr/local
subtree?

Please don't get me wrong: I appreciate X's ability
to run without configuration file, enabling out of
the box detection and activation of graphics hardware
(GPU and display), but as the hardware I'm forced to
used here is not compatible with this concept, so
the result is "does not work" because it doesn't
work with this autodetect magic. It's probably too
old for that.

Disabling HAL generally solved the problems. Furthermore,
out of security considerations, I don't want HAL to
act uncontrollable within the device chain.

I'm just wondering about one thing: In the past,
the "big two" (KDE and Gnome) could be enabled for
automounting volumes attached to the system. This
was years before HAL appeared. Why is there no
emphasize of how to do it that efficiently and
in an easy way again? Why rely on something that
is already considered obsolete?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany