Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 01:07:46 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        taob@io.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any remaining installation wish-list items out there?

> On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > In case it wasn't already evident by the recent spate of hacking in
> > /usr/src/release/sysinstall, I'm sort of planning on sweeping up the
> > last of the outstanding problems/issues with this utility and retiring
> > it in peace.

Requiescat in pacem...

>     Was the problem with /etc/sysconfig ever resolved?  I think the

Changing the subject slightly, did anyone ever get around to sorting
out a utility for adding an extra disk to an installed system?

I've performed some rather brutal surgery on sysinstall and managed to
cut out practically everything that's not related to configuring
disks; what's left compiles and (as far as I can tell from some very
cautious testing on my only disk) looks as though it can
fdisk/disklabel without doing anything harmful.

However, I think I've gone about as far as I can with my limited setup
and it really needs someone with a spare disk (or even better, a spare
machine) to knock it into shape. The main things that need doing are
adding some code to newfs the disk, re-write the menus and of course
give it a thorough testing. I don't think it would be very difficult
to finish it off (and earn the eternal gratitude of multitudes of
FreeBSD users 8-)

Anyone interested?

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland