Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:38:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Roberto" <robertot@redix.it>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=E1roly_Arnhoffer?= <karoly.arnhoffer@ericsson.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: getting the running patch level

just a try on the server:

--------------
% uname -a
FreeBSD xxxx.yyyyy 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:46:30 UTC
2012     root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  zzzz
%
--------------

and with the update command:
# freebsd-update fetch
No updates needed to update system to 9.0-RELEASE-p4

so I think uname will NOT give me enough info on the running os patchlevel
(p4),  maybe uname could be useful when the kernel itself is updated in the
update process and the system rebooted;
or I am probably missing something ...

regards
Roberto