Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2012 01:25:56 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Peter A. Giessel" <pgiessel@mac.com>, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: OT: Linux EXT4 dump/restore equivalent?

"Peter A. Giessel" <pgiessel@mac.com> responded:

> You can find a version of dump for Linux that supports ext4.  What I have been completely unable to find is a linux boot disk that has a version of restore
that supports ext4.  If anyone knows of one, I would be very interested.  I am very hesitant to use a backup scheme that doesn't have a clear recovery path.

I've used the System Rescue CD (sysresccd.org), which you can burn to CD or write to USB stick.

I haven't checked all the features, so I don't know if it includes restore for ext4.

Latest release version is 2.8.0

It ought to read/write ext4. I think it would read (BSD) ffs or ufs v1 but not v2.

Tom