Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:23:51 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
Cc:        'twig les' <twigles@yahoo.com>, 'graham' <graham@avint.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password security (my final post on this particular thread)

Eric F Crist wrote:
> It's apparent that this conversation could go on forever.  It is also
 >
> 1) Password security is not perfect due the inability of most
> people/users of data networks to remember and conjure up difficult,
> complex, or hard to guess passwords.
>
> 2) Biometrics is not a fool proof method of authentication and there are
> ways to trick these devices.
>
> 3) The generally agreed upon method for the most secure method of
> authentication over a seemingly insecure data network would be to
> combine a multitude of different technology, all dependent on each
> other.

You missed the simple fact that all keys can be copied. From an OPIE
list or print to some generated cryptographic bit sequence. Making it
very simple - giving that opportunity - to raise a hell of a lot of
false positives.

Thus making 3 4. Furthermore I think you should amend 3 or 4 by adding
time into the equation. Just by varying parts of the defense in a timely
manner makes it harder for wannabees to get the toehold needed to do
their dirty deeds.

Roelof

PS true, biometric keys can also be copied easily