Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 09:43:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Tony Griffiths <tonyg@OntheNet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha version and Xwindows...

Tony Griffiths writes:

 > The only remaining problem is that some of the packaged apps
 > (gv/ghostview/...)
 > generate millions of unaligned-access traps.  I've currently got the Tru64
 > Unix
 > Freeware CDROM loaded (sources rather than binaries 'cause I'm missing some
 >
 > X11 ECOFF libs [libXaw.so] that the binaries want).  Hopefully I can
 > rebuilt the X
 > apps that I want from the modified sources and generate a 'native' ELF
 > binary without
 > the alignment faults!

For what its worth, I think the problem is the gcc compiler.  I have
osf1/ecoff gs binaries here that were built from the standard sources
using the Compaq cc compiler & which do not generate unaliged access
traps.

If you can build or otherwise obtain the X11 ECOFF libs you need, you
might be better off running the osf1 binaries of these things.

Cheers,

Drew