Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:24:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SiI 3112 time out problems and suggestions for a good sata controller.

> The machine this is running on has releng_5 on it.
>
> I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on a good for a good
> sata pci card that preferably has 4 connectors on it.

The standard well supported RAID cards under FreeBSD as I have
experienced:

Promise, HighPoint, and 3Ware.

I've used Promise and HighPoint cards so far, and I have an older 3Ware
58xx card waiting to go into a server I'm starting to get parts for.  I've
had zero issues with any of these 3 manufacturers so far, and the cards
that I have used have all served me very well over the past few years.
FreeBSD has support for most of the controllers (except for the brandy-new
ones, which usually get supported pretty quickly with the -STABLE
branches) right out of the box.

Promise cards I think are all "soft" RAID cards, meaning I haven't seen
any of their lines of cards with a dediated hardware chip for RAID-5 (in
particular).

HighPoint offers both types of controllers (their "A" series, i.e. 1810A
for the 4-port version, are the hardware-based ones), and I think 3Ware
are all hardware-based.

I believe the SiI 3114 boards are a little better than the 3112 (I don't
think you can get any worse than the 3112), but I would stick with the
above 3 vendors, you will get well supported controllers that will work
without much fiddling.  I think 3Ware has the best monitoring utilities,
but if you're going to not bother with the card itself and use gvinum,
then it really doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.

-Gary